The priority of the Greenpeace forest campaign is the conservation and sustainable use of forests, endangered ecosystems where two-thirds of terrestrial biodiversity and many indigenous cultures and peoples.
What are forests?
Primary forests are natural and are characterized by not having never been processed or altered by industrial activity. Its dynamics and evolution depends on the natural disturbance regime, with little or no human intervention and are large enough to ensure the survival of viable populations of all living things, including migratory species. Since human intervention has been limited, the only primary forest are still preserved in virgin state. Therefore, any other type of forest or plantation is close to the biological richness or ecological importance of primary forest.
The seven last great forests on the planet are:
- The Amazon Rainforest
- The jungles of Southeast Asia
- The rainforests of central Africa
- The temperate forests of South America
- Primary forests of America and Canada
- Europe’s last ancient forests
- The forests of the Siberian taiga
These virgin forests are disappearing rapidly and irreversibly. 80% of these ecosystems has already been destroyed or altered and the remaining 20% is threatened by various causes: logging or oil, mining, construction of dams and roads, expansion of agriculture and livestock, etc..
Primary forests need protection through international and national agencies. However, the work of these bodies may not be sufficient to preserve the last ancient forests on Earth. If we want future generations to enjoy these unique ecosystems will act at different levels, both nationally and internationally. For example, demanding our politicians and companies to take decisions aimed at protecting these forests. And also, refocusing our spending habits to avoid unsustainable forms of production or affecting biodiversity.
Greenpeace has chosen these seven magnificent animals as the protagonists of the campaign for the protection of primary forests, with the aim of encouraging boys and girls to act on behalf of these forests.